Medical Services for Your Life
In addition to general health care, we can help manage chronic disease and conditions such as skin cancer with the assistance of our in-house nursing staff. We also work with allied health services such as dieticians, diabetic educators and mental health professionals, to offer a comprehensive clinical service to you and your family.
Marketown Health is now offering a “one stop” comprehensive medical assessment tailored for men, which looks at your current physical health and gives you a picture of what your health may look like in 10, 20 or 30 years’ time.
Call and speak to the receptionist about booking in for a “men’s mid-life medical” whilst you are healthy and avoid the mid- life medical crisis or click on our registration area and a Marketown Health representative will contact you.
Our doctors provide shared obstetric care with the Ante-natal clinic at John Hunter Hospital (JHH).
During pregnancy you should not just only take good care of your own health but also go for regular check-ups with your doctor. Antenatal care is important because it makes sure that both you and your baby are fit and well.
A Well Woman Check will include:
- The Pap test (also called Pap Smear) a quick and simple test that checks for changes to the cells of the cervix that may lead to cervical cancer. All women aged between 18 and 70 years who have ever been sexually active should have a Pap test every two years. Your doctor can explain the procedure in more detail, if this is your first pap test.
- Contraceptive Advice.
- Menopause Advice.
- Pre pregnancy counselling.
We provide childhood immunisation at Marketown Health, and we support and recommend the Standard Immunisation Schedule as set out by the Health Department. For children aged in their fourth year we carry out a comprehensive screening check with our nurse for those children who have had, or having their 4 year vaccinations to ensure that your child is reaching appropriate levels in relation to developmental and motor skill milestones. This check-up also includes eye sight, hearing and dental health screening.
In addition to our full range of vaccinations the following is available:
- Newborn health check
- Health kids check-up
- Travel vaccinations for children as appropriate
Marketown Health has dedicated skin clinics for full assessments. We recommend all patients over the age of 40 book for a skin check, or at any age if there are moles of concern.
Please wear loose clothing and be prepared to disrobe down to your underwear. The skin check requires a long consultation and costs the same. Biopsies may be taken on the day. Excisions will be performed in the treatment room for another day.
We are equipped with a well-appointed procedure room with hospital-standard autoclave sterilisation procedures. Many of our doctors are able to perform surgical procedures such as excision of skin lesions, hormone implantation and repair of skin lacerations.
Comprehensive wound assessment are carried out by our nursing staff.
Acupuncture is a system of healing that focuses on improving the overall well-being of the patient. Health problems are treated by the insertion of fine needles into the body at specific points. Originating in China, these points have been mapped out over two thousand years and have more recently been confirmed through electromagnetic research.
Conditions Treated with Acupuncture
The list of conditions treated with acupuncture at Marketown Health is extensive and includes:
• Arthritis / Joint Problems
• Back Pain
• Drug Addiction / Smoking
• Headache / Migraine
• Knee Pain / Neck Pain / Stiffness
• Pain Relief
• Shoulder Pain
• Sports Injuries
• Sprains and Strains
Marketown Health holds an annual influenza immunisation clinic beginning around March/April each year. Please enquire with reception who can advise you of the commencement dates and available booking times.
Marketown Health has dedicated skin clinics for full assessments. We recommend all patients over the age of 40 book in for a skin check, or at any age if there are moles of concern.
Please wear loose clothing and be prepared to undress down to your underwear. The skin check requires a long consultation, and costs the same. Biopsies may be taken on the day. Excisions will be performed in the treatment room for another day.
The importance of regular skin checks:
- Regular checks give you a good chance of spotting the signs of sun damage before they become serious, and help you get to know your own skin and gain a better understanding of what is normal on your skin and what is not, which will help you in identifying any new or changing areas of your skin
- Extremely important for those with a higher risk of getting skin cancer - people with reduced immunity, people who have had previous skin cancer and people with a strong family history of skin cancer – to be checked regularly to avoid any cancerous spots
- Cancer can appear on parts of the body which are not exposed to the sun, so checking these regularly is also important
The importance of early detection:
- Detecting sun spots early means potentially avoiding cancer
- Sun spots and skin cancers that are identified and treated early have a better outcome than most other types of cancer
Changes to look for:
- New moles
- Change in size of moles
- Outline of mole that becomes notched
- Change in colour on a spot from brown to black or is varied
- A spot that develops a lump within it or becomes raised
- Rough, scaly or ulcerated surfaces that develop
- Moles that itch or tingle
- Moles that bleed or weep
- Spots that look different from your other spots
Quitting smoking can be one of the most difficult, yet rewarding things a person can do. Most smokers' say they would like to quit, and may have tried at least once. Some are successful the first time, but many other people try a number of times before they finally give up for good. Come and speak to one of our doctors about quitting smoking for good.
Smoking is strongly related to many chronic diseases including coronary heart disease, stroke, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, asthma, rheumatoid arthritis and osteoporosis, and is responsible for 20% of all cancer deaths in Australia. Smoking also has adverse effects in pregnancy, both for the mother and the developing foetus, and exposure to second-hand tobacco smoke has been shown to damage the health of children and adults.
As we get older, many of us become more vulnerable to illness.
The federal government has recently introduced a new health check. It is for everyone aged between 45 and 49 who may be at risk of developing a health complaint, like diabetes or heart disease.
The aim of the health check is to help find, prevent or lessen the effect of disease. After all, it is better to avoid disease than to treat it. This health check will give us the opportunity to look at your lifestyle and medical/family history to find out if you are at risk.
The health check will involve, seeing the Practice Nurse who will:
- Update your medical history – including items such as family history of diseases, smoking and dietary risk factors
- Checking your blood pressure, weight and urine
- Organising blood tests for cholesterol and glucose
- Following up of any problems identified
- Give advice and information, for example on how to make a lifestyle change to improve your health.
Our records will show if you are in the age group to qualify for this health check.
There is no cost for this health check as it is covered by Medicare.
Specifically for patients aged between 45 and 49 years who are at risk of developing a 'chronic' disease. This may be because of lifestyle factors such as smoking, physical inactivity, excess weight, biomedical risk factors where there is no outward sign of a problem (such as high blood pressure and high cholesterol) or simply a family history of chronic disease. This service is also billed directly to Medicare.
Annual Check-Up – 75 years and over.
75+ Annual Check-Up is for those members of the Practice who are over 75 years. This appointment takes 1-1.5 hours and is a comprehensive review of your physical health and life style. This is directly billed to Medicare so there is no cost to you.